Saturday August 23 2019
The impacts of climate change, deforestation and thoughtless consumption of natural resources are on full display this week with fires raging across the Amazon and Indonesia.
2019 has been a record breaking fire season across the tropics, with 72,843 rainforest fires reported
in Brazil alone. Recently, the government of Indonesia declared a state of emergency
due to poor air quality from fires on the islands of Sumatra and Borneo. Deforestation in these regions destroys environments, drives animals from their homes, negatively impacts human health
and adds carbon to our atmosphere which only hastens the effects of climate change.
This is a crisis of our own making - human disturbance - and it stands to worsen unless drastic action is taken immediately. Now a yearly occurrence, these fires continue to devastate the tropics and their strength and frequency are only increasing. In 2015 the small Bornean city of Palangka Raya was named the most polluted city in the world because regional fires caused more carbon emissions than all of Europe combined. Each year thousands of Indonesians are forced to flee the peat smoke, while others including our colleagues at the Borneo Nature Foundation
and the Center for International Cooperation in Sustainable Management of Tropical Peatland
(CIMTROP) stay to fight.
There's no time to waste. We have the power to correct these mistakes and save our world's beautiful and special places. If those who care turn thought into action, we can enact positive change.
Here are some simple ways you can help today. Included are organizations we work with directly in the field. For more information or questions feel free to email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Give to Amazon Frontlines and assist those on the front lines of the Amazon fires.
- Ensure the voices of Amazonia's indigenous populations are heard with Amazon Watch.
- Support scientists and firefighters on the ground with the Borneo Nature Foundation and CIMTROP by donating to their emergency fire fund.
- Help animals impacted by the effects of fires and deforestation with a donation to International Animal Rescue and Borneo Orangutan Survival Foundation (BOSF).
- Ensure these issues are shared with the world by supporting environmentally focused film projects like The Great Call and companies like One Health Productions.
- Provide support for indigenous communities across Borneo with The Borneo Project.
- Promote sustainable development projects led by indigenous women in the Amazon with HAKHU Amazon Design.
- March for your rights like the indigenous women of the Amazon.
- Sign a petition telling the Brazilian government to save the Amazon Rainforest and protect the lands of Indigenous communities.
- Follow and join the mailing lists of these organizations to stay up to date on news and events.
- Spread awareness by sharing with your friends and colleagues on social media and in person - global pressure is working!
- Consume less, including meat.